The weather has made the completion of the quarter and semi-finals of the Minor Singles Championship very challenging. The quarter finals started on Saturday July 10 but rain forced the players from the green before they could be completed. They were finished on Tuesday July 13. Then very windy and cold conditions created very difficult conditions for the players when the semi-finals were played on Saturday July 17.

Doug Williams and Alan Skelton had a real see-sawing battle in their quarter final. Williams held a slight advantage over the first 10 ends in a tight battle. After 14 ends he led 11 – 10 before extending this to 15 – 10 over the next two ends. Skelton then won 7 of the next 8 ends to race to a commanding 25 – 16 lead before the rains came. When they resumed on Tuesday Williams dominated from the outset picking up 13 shots in 6 ends to turn the game on its head to hit the front by 29 – 25. Skelton was able to win the next 2 ends but it was not enough with Williams winning 31 – 27!

The amazing Lou Kozlik – just a fortnight short of his 89th birthday – continues with his great form. He played promising newcomer Warren Hodder in the quarter finals. In a very close game Hodder held a narrow 13 – 12 lead after 15 ends. At this stage Kozlik started to take control and when rain stopped play he had moved to a strong position at 28 – 17. While Hodder started well when the game resumed, picking up 3 shots on the first end, Kozlik was able to close the game out on the next end to win 31 – 20.

Marcel Kors proved to be too good for Jonathan Green in their game. While Green started well he could not match his opponents consistent play. Kors was ahead 29 – 11 when play was stopped and Green agreed to concede the result. Mick Challice won his game when he received a forfeit.

Though the weather was fine when the players met to play the semi-finals, a strong, cold westerly wind created very challenging conditions. Williams played Kors and quickly took the lead picking up 8 shots before Kors managed to trouble the scorer. As the match progressed Kors gradually chipped away at the deficit and by the 14th end he had moved to the front at 17 – 14. The players shared the next 6 ends with Kors in front by 22 – 21 after 20 ends. Kors was able to take control of the play from this point and he made his way into the final with a 31 – 22 victory.

Lou Kozlik played Mick Challice for the other place in the final. In a very close match the players were locked at 9 all after 13 ends. The evergreen Kozlik then put his stamp on the game. He won 9 of the next 11 ends to move to a 25 – 12 advantage. Challice was suffering from a hip injury but did not give in. He made Kozlik fight for every shot. Kozlik moved into the final with a 31 – 16 victory. He must surely be the oldest finalist in the club’s history! He also struggled through this match with a very sore foot but you couldn’t tell except for his ‘non-conventional’ footwear!

The final will be played next Saturday.