The final Championship for the year is underway with round 1 and 2 matches in the Consistency Singles completed. The scoring in this form of the game is different with points being allocated to the four closest bowls – 4 for the closest, 3 for second, 2 for third and 1 for fourth. With 10 points available each end, the winner is first to 150. After the jack is rolled it is placed on a ‘washer’ and is replaced on the washer if it is moved by a bowl. The game is about consistently drawing to the jack.

Stan Peck continued his excellent form with a good win over Michael Atkinson in Round 1. Lawrie Riley and Doug Williams had a very close battle until the last few ends when Riley pulled away to win 153 – 127. Joel Hilliard was too experienced for Marcel Kors.

In the closest Round 1 game Peter Bird needed an extra end to claim victory over Ray Downey. This game was close throughout. Nearing the end the players where locked on 145 all. On the 30th end Downey seemed to have the edge until Bird was able to push his bowl into the head to even the end at 5 all. The players were locked on 150 all and needed an extra end. On this end Bird was able to grab a 6 -4 result to take out the match.

Stuart Graham and Ron Cox also had a very close tussle. Cox managed to hold the advantage for most of the game but Graham managed to win the crucial last ends to give him a 154 – 136 victory.

In the second round Peter Bird had another very close encounter with Lawrie Riley. Riley kept his head in front for much of the match but Bird was always in touch. He gradually narrowed the gap and on the second last end he levelled at 145 all. Riley held his nerve and had three excellent bowls on the last end that enabled him to win 151 to 149.

Riley’s opponent in the semi-finals will be the irrepressible Stan Peck who had another impressive victory. This time he accounted for Stuart Graham with another masterly display of draw bowling winning 154 to 116.

John Monks and Joel Hilliard also had a tight game. Monks started slowly but by the 10th end he had hit the front. He gradually built up a good lead. Hilliard remained in the fight and with a late charge he was only 8 points behind with two ends to play. Monks had the better of the 29th end and this gave him a 151 – 139 victory.